The Ship Bottom Beach Patrol is responsible for the overall safety of our residents and visitors who enjoy the beaches daily. Lifeguards provide public education designed to prevent aquatic emergencies and establish and maintain the highest standards of professional surf and open water life saving in an effort to maximize public safety. Beach Patrol personnel are trained in accordance with the United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) guidelines for Open Water Lifeguards, which includes certification in American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Standard First Aid, and Administering Emergency Oxygen.
The Ship Bottom Beach Patrol holds tryouts for new and returning lifeguards every season in early June at the St. Francis Aquatic Center Pool. Each participant is required to have a note from a medical or osteopathic physician stating they are in good health and can perform all the duties of an open water lifeguard in order to take the test. The test is a 500 meter swim in under 10 minutes which must be passed for returning lifeguards to be eligible for employment and for new lifeguards to be accepted into rookie school.
Beach Patrol personnel start patrolling the beaches on weekends only beginning Memorial Day Weekend up to the first day of the season (Saturday before Father’s Day) to September 30th. While on patrol using All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), lifeguards are ever vigilant for beach goers’ care educating the public on beach awareness and ocean safety.
IN-SEASON: lifeguards are on duty from 10 AM to 6 PM daily 3rd Street, 7th Street, 15th Street, 20th Street, 23rd Street, 26th Street, 30th Street. (the actual placement of the lifeguard stands vary due to beach conditions. Therefore, the guarded swim areas may be more to the north or more to the south of the listed street.)
POST SEASON (Day After Labor Day to September 30th) the only guarded beaches are 7th, 15th, and 20th
TRYOUTS ARE GENERALLY EARLY JUNE
CHECK BACK FOR DATES AND TIMES
Use the linked Lifeguard Application
Once you have finished your application,
please watch the three videos below, print out and sign the Employee Sign Off- Anti-Workplace Harassment Training Paperwork
Please print the documents below. Once your application is received you will be sent a link to upload your documents to a drop box account.
For more information, please contact Keith Stokes, Lifeguard Chief/Beach Supervisor by email or call (808) 382-7052.
2021 Drug Testing Dates For Returning Lifeguards Only
TO BE DETERMINED
Lifeguard In Training Program
Application Information: THE LIT PROGRAM IS NOW CLOSED
Deadline for 2020 LIT application is June 1, 2020. Please note that the program will likely fill before the deadline and some may be placed on a waiting list, especially for morning sessions.
A completed application includes the following items:
● 2020 Application Form (must be completed online in one sitting)
● Proof of Health Insurance (*photocopy of insurance card must be emailed to Nora Covert and Katie Farrell, LITDirectors, at email@example.com
*Applications that are incomplete or missing information will NOT be accepted. Applications will NOT be accepted in person or via mail*
You will receive a confirmation letter and payment slip via email once your application is processed. You must print the payment slip and mail it to Borough Hall along with your payment in order to confirm your child’s enrollment in the program. Payments will not be accepted without the payment slip. Registered participants will then receive a Welcome Letter via email during the week of June 8th.
Age Group, Session, and Fee Information:
The 10-12 year old sessions are full at this time
- Applicants MUST be at least 10 years of age by the start of the program in order to be eligible to participate
- The 10-12 year old age group (Tuesday, Thursday) will run from Tuesday, June 23rd through Thursday, July 30th. The end of the year party will be on Tuesday, August 4th. Your child will be assigned to either the morning (10:30 am – 12:30 pm) or the afternoon (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm) session. The 10-12 year old program fee is $100.
The morning session for 13-15 is full at this time *The afternoon session still has availability*
The 13-15 year old age group (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) will run from Monday, June 22nd through Friday, July 31st. The end of the year party will be on Monday, August 3rd. Your child will be assigned to either the morning (10:30 am – 12:30 pm) or the afternoon (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm) session. The 13-15 year old program fee is $125.
Important Program Information:
- Please note that the LIT Program is a NON-REFUNDABLE program.
- Please be mindful that we try our best to accommodate preferences for specific sessions, but space is limited and session assignments are made on a first come first served basis. By submitting an application you acknowledge that your child may be placed in either session (morning or afternoon).
- Application items will only be accepted via email. You will receive an email with a confirmation letter once your application is received and processed. The letter will contain payment instructions to confirm your child’s enrollment in the program.
Please contact LIT Program Directors Nora Covert and Katie Farrell by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Ship Bottom Beach Badge Checker (We are no longer accepting applications)
Lifeguard Chief/Beach Supervisor
Beach Badge Checker Online Application (no longer available)
Beach Wheels & Ramps
BEACH RAMP LOCATIONS
- 4th Street
- 8th and 9th Streets
- 14th and 15th Streets
- 20th and 21st Streets
- 25th Street
Due to a limited number of chairs, it is necessary to make a reservation in advance. Anyone staying in Ship Bottom is eligible to reserve and use a beach wheel at no charge. However, we cannot lend chairs to people staying at hotels unless special security arrangements have been made in advance. Additionally, chairs may only be used within Ship Bottom and please remember to store the chair in a secure place when not in use.
To reserve your chair:
- CALL (609) 494-9481 in-season (Beach Patrol) and (609) 494-2171 ext. 116 off-season (Clerk’s Office)
- Provide your full name, home address, local address, phone number (include mobile)
- Dates you wish to reserve the beach wheel. (up to one week limit on rentals)
- Proof of Identification required at time of pick-up (drivers license, passport, military ID, etc)
The beach wheels are made from lightweight PVC tubing and over-sized wheels so that they can handle difficult terrain such as the beach. An attendant is needed to move the chair; it cannot be moved by the person using the chair. Please use care when operating the chair to avoid accidents. Please hose off the chair on a daily basis to remove sand and salt and never leave the chair unattended.
Lifeguards are on duty from 10 AM to 6 PM in season.