Violations Bureau Hours
Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM
1621 Long Beach Boulevard
Ship Bottom, NJ 08008
Phone: 609-494-2171 Ext. 118 or Ext. 124
Judge: Daniel F. Sahin, JMC
Court Administrator: Karen M. Garcia, CMCA
Municipal Prosecutor: Bonnie R. Peterson, Esq.
Public Defender: Debra H. Rumpf, Esq.
**Due to COVID-19, in person court sessions remain temporarily suspended and Ship Bottom Municipal Court has implemented virtual court proceedings to resolve appropriate court matters using Zoom video conferencing.**
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING VIRTUAL COURT PROCEEDINGS
How to Be Scheduled for a Virtual Court Session:
If Your Matter Requires a Mandatory Court Appearance
• If your matter requires a mandatory court appearance, you MUST contact the court by telephone or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to provide your name, case/complaint # (if you know it), telephone number, and email address.
• Notice to Attorneys – You may request a virtual court date for your client by contacting the court directly with your client’s and your office’s information.
• If your matter is scheduled for a court session, please allow a minimum of one and a half hours for your hearing.
If Your Matter Does NOT Require a Court Appearance
• If you received a traffic or non-traffic summons that does not require a court appearance and you wish to enter a plea of guilty to the violation and pay the fine you may do so. Simply mail the summons with a check or money order made payable to “Ship Bottom Municipal Court” to the court. If you do not know the amount of your fine, please call the court for assistance. You may also pay online. To do so go to www.njmcdirect.com to process your payment with a credit or debit card.
• If you wish to plead NOT GUILTY you MUST contact the court to be scheduled for a virtual court hearing. You may contact the court by telephone or by emailing email@example.com to request that your matter be scheduled for court. Please provide the court with your name, case/complaint #(s) (if you know it), phone number, and email address.
• Please allow a minimum of one and a half hours for your virtual court hearing.
ONCE YOU ARE SCHEDULED FOR VIRTUAL COURT PLEASE FOLLOW THE BELOW STEPS
• You MUST watch the “Official Municipal Court Opening Statement” prior to your court session. You may watch this short video on YouTube at any time prior to your hearing. When joining the court session you may be asked to certify that you have watched Judge Belasco’s opening remarks. Click here to watch his opening remarks.
• Prior to your court session, a Zoom link and instructions will be emailed to you at the email address you provided to the court. Please safeguard this information so you are able to join your hearing on court day.
What is Required to Join a Virtual Court Session?
There are several ways of joining a virtual court session, each with different requirements. These include:
•PC/Mac laptop or desktop – this option requires a browser which will run Zoom Meeting as needed. A microphone and video camera are required.
•Smart Phone – this option requires you to install the Zoom Cloud Meetings app and allow it to access to your phone’s camera and microphone.
•Dial In – this option allows you to dial into the proceeding and appear by phone. Dialing *9 during the conference call will raise your hand when called on for attendance.
What are the Keys to a Successful Virtual Court Appearance?
• Please remember that although you are attending court remotely, it is an ACTUAL court hearing so dress and conduct yourself accordingly.
• Set up in a closed room with no other noise or people.
• Connect to the meeting using your first and last name on the display so that court staff knows that you are present and ready to proceed with your case. Please rename yourself if necessary. Failure to display your true and proper identity may result in you not being admitted to or being removed from the proceeding.
• Be sure to allow all connections to audio and/or video by Zoom.
• If you are unsuccessful connecting with video, be prepared to call in to the phone number listed in the Zoom meeting information sent to you via e-mail. You will be able to have an audio hearing.
• Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appearance time so that your connection can be tested before to your session.
• You will be placed in our “waiting room” until your scheduled court session begins. Please be patient. Court staff will admit you into the main court room as soon as possible.
• As per AOC rules, audio and video recording of the proceedings are strictly prohibited.
• If you have any questions or concerns for an upcoming scheduled court matter, you may call the court and leave a detailed message. Court staff will respond and assist you.
What to Do After Your Court Appearance?
If fines and costs were imposed by the Municipal Court judge, please contact the court the next day to arrange payment. If you need additional time to pay, alert the court when you call so that a payment plan can be created.
SHIP BOTTOM COURT SESSIONS ARE HELD AT 1:00 PM AND 2:00 PM
Our regular court sessions are held on the second Monday of each month with an additional session added for July, August, and September. Please note that since the second Monday in October falls on a holiday, an alternative date has been selected. The scheduled court dates for this year are as follows:
- January 11th
- February 8th
- March 8th
- April 12th
- May 10th
- June 14th
- July 12th
- July 26th
- August 9th
- August 23th
- September 13th
- September 27th
- October 18th
- November 8th
- December 13th
**PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE ABOVE DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.**
**NOTICES WILL BE SENT TO ADVISE OF ANY CHANGE IN DATES.**
Helpful Links & Documents:
State of New Jersey Judiciary
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Online Payment for Tickets and Summons
New Jersey Judiciary Records Request Form
Sample Plea By Mail Form (contact court directly to obtain)
Municipal Court Opening Statement
Adjournment Policy for the Municipal Courts of Ocean County
****If you require a Public Defender application please contact the court via telephone or e-mail, and it will be supplied to you.****