Violations Bureau Hours
Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Phone: 609-494-2171 Ext. 118 Fax: 609-848-9229
Judge: Daniel F. Sahin, JMC
Court Administrator: Karen M. Garcia, CMCA
Municipal Prosecutor: Bonnie R. Peterson, Esq.
Public Defender: Debra H. Rumpf, Esq.
**Due to COVID-19 Ship Bottom Municipal Building will remain closed to the public until further notice. As a result, in person court sessions remain temporarily suspended and Ship Bottom Municipal Court has implemented Virtual Court Proceedings to resolve appropriate court matters using Zoom video conferencing**
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING VIRTUAL COURT PROCEEDINGS
How to Be Scheduled for a Virtual Court Session:
If Your Matter Requires a Mandatory Court Appearance
• For any Ship Bottom Municipal Court matter requiring a mandatory court appearance, you must contact the court to be scheduled for a virtual court hearing. You may contact the court by calling 609-494-2171 Ext.118 or by emailing email@example.com. Please provide the court with your full name, your case/complaint # (if you know it), your telephone number and your email address.
• Notice to Attorneys– You may request a virtual court date for your client by contacting the court directly with your client’s and your office’s information.
• Once your matter is scheduled for a virtual court session, please expect to be available for a minimum one and a half hours for your virtual court hearing.
If Your Matter Does NOT Require a Court Appearance
• If you received a traffic or non-traffic summons that does not require a court appearance and you wish to enter a plea of Guilty to the violation and pay the prescribed penalty you may do so. Simply mail the summons with the prescribed penalty to Ship Bottom Municipal Court.If you do not know the amount of your fine you may call the court for assistance. You may also pay online, to do so go to www.njmcdirect.com to process your payment with a credit or debit card.
• If you wish plead NOT GUILTY you must contact the court to be properly scheduled to participate in a virtual court hearing. You may contact the court by calling 609-494-2171 Ext. 118 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to request that your matter be scheduled in a virtual court session in Ship Bottom Municipal Court. Please provide the court with your full name, case/complaint #(s) (if you know it), phone number and your email address.
• Once your matter is scheduled for a virtual court session, please expect to be available for at least one and a half hours for your virtual court hearing.
ONCE YOU ARE SCHEDULED FOR VIRTUAL COURT PLEASE FOLLOW THE BELOW STEPS.
• You MUST watch the “Official Municipal Court Opening Statement” before joining a virtual court session. You may watch this short video at any time prior to your hearing. When joining the court session you may be asked to certify that you watched the judges opening remarks. Click here to watch opening remarks.
• After you have watched the Opening Statement you may enter the court session by clicking on the link to that day’s scheduled proceeding. Please note only one court session will appear below and that is the pending session.
• You are REQUIRED TO DISCUSS YOUR CASE WITH THE PROSECUTOR PRIOR TO THE SCHEDULED COURT DATE. Ship Bottom’s Prosecutor may be reached via telephone at 732-830-5900.
What is Required to Join a Virtual Court Session?
There are several ways of joining a virtual court session, each with different requirements. These include:
•PC/Mac laptop or desktop– this option requires a browser which will run Zoom Meeting as needed. A microphone and video camera are required.
•Smart Phone– this option requires you to install the Zoom Cloud Meetings app and allow it to access to your phone’s camera and microphone.
•Dial In– this option allows you to dial into the proceeding and appear by phone. Dialing *9 during the conference call will raise your hand when called on for attendance.
What are the Keys to a Successful Virtual Court Appearance?
• Set up in a closed room with no other noise or people.
• Connect to the meeting using your real first and last name on the display so that court staff knows that you are present and ready to proceed with your case.
• Be sure to allow all connections to audio and/or video by Zoom.
• If you are unsuccessful connecting with video, be prepared to call in to the phone number listed in the below Zoom meeting information so you will be able to have an audio hearing. Please note the dial in number will change from court session to court session.
• Please arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appearance time so that your connection can be tested prior to your appearance.
• As per AOC rules, audio and video recording of the proceedings are strictly prohibited. If you would like a copy of the proceeding, you can fill out a judiciary request form which can be found at New Jersey Courts Online.
• If you have any questions or concerns for an upcoming scheduled court matter, you may call 609-494-2171 Ext. 118 and leave a detailed message. Court staff will respond and assist you.
What to Do After Your Court Appearance?
If fines and costs were imposed by the Municipal Court, the court staff will create a temporary time payment and send paperwork for you. You must complete and return that paperwork by regular mail to establish and confirm your time payment agreement. If you have any questions or concerns about your payment obligations please call the court and leave your name, number and complete address on the voicemail and someone will return your call promptly.
NEXT VIRTUAL COURT SESSION – Thursday, October 1, 2020 – 3 pm
**Please contact the Municipal Court’s office and provide a valid phone number and e-mail address in order to obtain the necessary log in information for your court session.**
Finally, should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at 609-494-2171 ext. 118 or via email at email@example.com
SHIP BOTTOM COURT DATES FOR 2020 – ALL COURT TIMES ARE 2:00 PM
Our regular court sessions are held on the first Thursday of each month. During the high season (July, August and September), we will add a second court date has been added. The scheduled court dates for this year are as follows:
- January 16th
- February 6th
- March 5th
- April 2nd – Cancelled due to COVID-19
- May 7th – Cancelled due to COVID-19
- June 4th
- July 2nd
- July 21st
- August 6th
- August 18th
- September 3rd
- September 15th
- October 1st
- November 5th
- December 3rd
**PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE ABOVE DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE** **NOTICES WILL BE SENT TO ADVISE OF ANY CHANGE IN DATES**
Helpful Links & Documents:
Sample Please By Mail Form (contact court directly to obtain)
****If you require a Public Defender application please contact the court via telephone or e-mail, and it will be supplied to you.****